The House

The Langhorne House, built in 1874 by C. D. Langhorne, was originally located at 1102 Main Street at the corner of Main and Broad. The two-story dwelling consisted of a main floor with a parlor, two bedrooms and a foyer with a stairway leading up to bedrooms and down to the kitchen and dining area in the basement. In 1921 the home was moved to its present location at 117 Broad Street. It was enlarged and converted into four apartments.

Saved from demolition in 1988, the house became the property of the Lady Astor Preservation Foundation. This non-profit organization, which is now called Langhorne House, uses the main floor as a museum, while retaining the two apartments on the second floor.

In the museum the parlor and master bedroom have been restored and some original artifacts are on display. In the gallery section there are changing exhibits, and there is a small gift shop.

The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Virginia Landmark Registry, and Friends of the Library USA

Operating hours are Saturdays from 2:00 to 5:00 pm and at other time by appointment. There is no admission charge. For a small fee, group tours can be scheduled.

Current Exhibit/Upcoming Event